Champaign, IL 61822
Contact Norm by email
- Project Management
- Business Needs Assessment
- User Interface design and development.
- Involved in most phases of computer design and development, from low-level device driver through to high level tool design and usage.
- Ability to select the right language or tool to use to implement the solution to a problem.
- Web site design and development.
- Operating System level design and programming.
- Ability to locate and resolve problems in computers down to the component level quickly.
- Novell network installation and support.
- NT Server installation and support.
Specific Work History
|2014 to present||Consultant|
|2013 to 2014||IT Manager, Martin One Source, Champaign Illinois|
|2000 to 2013||Consultant programming for various companies|
|1998 to 2000||Project Manager / Lead Programmer, Computer Learning Systems, Champaign, Illinois.|
|1988 to 1998||Manager of Software Development; Computer Teaching Corporation, Champaign, Illinois.|
|1986 to 1988||Manager of Software Development, Government Systems Division; Carroll Touch, Round Rock Texas.|
|1984 to 1986||Senior Firmware Engineer; Carroll Touch.|
|1982 to 1984||Manager of Software Development; Regency Systems, Champaign, Illinois|
|1980 to 1982||Systems Programmer; Regency Systems.|
|1979 to 1980||Accounting and Utilities Programmer; Regency Management Service, Champaign Illinois.|
|1977 to 1979||Systems Programmer; University of Illinois, CERL – PLATO, Champaign, Illinois.|
- Designed and implemented WBT system for training on the Fair Housing Act used throughout Texas.
- Developed tools to make production of lessons easier in Asymetrix Toolbook; included processing the “Next” button, handling playing of audio at appropriate times, student scoring and instructor replay of student actions.
- Generated openscript code to generate Action Editor coding, allowing for web delivery
of Instructor 8.X courseware.
- Rewrote disk I/O routines to bring them up from PC-DOS 1.0 to 3.3; major increase in functionality provided, including the addition of file sharing and network access.
- Managed the development of font editor and font plotting routines.
- Managed, designed and/or programmed various editors, including the development of a new source editor.
- Assisted in the design and programming of a test system written in C that is usable by both engineering and manufacturing departments to test touch panel products using scripts built for each product.
- Designed & managed the development of a Mouse Emulation package for touch systems.
- Designed and programmed Z80-based systems software for computer based training (CBT) using assembly language and a company-developed language called USE. Programs included editors, compilers, assemblers and the implementation of specific
- Designed and programmed a 8K boot-up PROM for a Z80-based CBT system.
- Wrote file management systems, printer driver routines, student management routines.
- Designed and programmed a Student Interview Scheduling System.
- Developed a user directory system for users on a world-wide computer system
- Implemented the bi-directional updating of the database from the various mainframes stationed around the world.
- Standardized the user interface for a computer-generated music system.
- Developed a church pledge and gift tracking system.
- Designed the user interface that is used as the standard interface for all Carroll Touch products.
- Designed and programmed the initial Smart-Frame® series of touch systems on a Motorola 68705.
- Developed firmware routines to determine when IR light beams are interrupted by a stylus; modified these routines through several years of hardware development during which time programmable amplifiers, current injection, and other modifications were made to increase the responsiveness and accuracy of touch panels.
- Developed 8051 touch/display firmware which meets military BIT requirements.
- Program Manager in Matrix-based organization responsible for bringing four projects to fruition using a variety of talent from the organization (Design, Graphics, Instructional Design, Programming).
- Supervised nine full-time programmers and technical writers.
- Supervised three firmware engineers.
- Created a Software Configuration Control procedure that met military development requirements but was flexible enough for commercial development.
- Provided leadership for electrical engineers when they programmed firmware.
- Managed 1.2 M departmental budget.
- Provided software or firmware input for all quotes – prepared budget for personnel and equipment for custom projects.
- Generated specifications for firmware and test programs.
- HTML, DHTML, PHP, ASP, other related web-based languages
- mySQL and other database interfaces
- Data-based website development
- Support for Quantum Accounting Package
- Support for GOPD purchase order system
- Support for various other shopping carts, paypal interface
- Asymetrix/Click2Learn Toolbook Openscript and Action Editor System
- VB and other Microsoft languages in Visual Interdev
- Various assembler languages and other obsolete languages such as Fortran, PL/1